I know Valentine's day is over, but unfortunately I didn't have time to post these in time for the holiday. Hopefully heart shaped cookies are not only for Valentine's day though and you all can get some use out of these. If anything, they are just darn cute to look at :)
- 1 1/2 cups butter softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Jelly for the Linzer filling
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, then beat in eggs and vanilla
- Stir the dry ingredients into above mixture
- Split dough so that you can mix half of it with red food coloring
- Let dough chill in the refrigerator covered for at least one hour, or overnight
- Once chilled roll the dough onto a floured surface and cut into desired shapes. For the Linzer cookies, use a mini cookie cutter to cut little hearts into the top layer. Be sure to have an even number of tops with the heart cut-outs and regular heart shaped bottoms!
- Bake for 6-8 minutes
- Once cool, brush the red ones and regular ones with a powder sugar glaze (mix powdered sugar and water until it is like glue) and then dip them in sprinkles. For the Linzer cookies you just sandwich them with jelly.