Every time I go to NYC I tell myself I am going to try a Magnolia Bakery cupcake but it never happens! Part of the problem is that there are just too many great places to try in New York, and somehow Magnolia just seems to fall behind. I'm probably a little afraid of the potential let down too if I find out it was not worth the hype or the wait. But Tsehay is a good friend, and she bought me 'The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook' for my birthday...so now Magnolia comes to me (and maybe you)!
My friend Annie had a house warming/dinner party with some of my favorite Googlers, and I was of course in charge of dessert. I made this cake from the Magnolia cookbook and everyone said it was the best thing I have ever made. That either says something about the possible progression of my baking skills (hmmmm), or it is a testament to the deliciousness of this cake! I also brought some of what was left to work and it was gone in about 20 minutes. Overall it seems to be quite the crowd pleaser.
I should warn you that the only thing healthy about this cake is the apples (and maybe the omega-3s you get from the walnuts.) Everything else will go straight to your happy gut :) Here's how you make it:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 2 eight-ounce packages of cream cheese, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 cup of cold caramel
- Gold sugar (if you are feelin sassy)
As you can see above, very healthy.
- With an electric mixer, beat the oil with the sugar until smooth
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until smooth
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds, beating after each addition
- Once you have a thick batter stir in the apple chunks and walnuts
- Divide the batter between two greased 9x2-inch round cake pans
- Bake 45-55minutes
In the meantime, you can make the icing.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and the butter until smooth
- Add the caramel and mix well
Let the cakes cool, and then spread a layer of icing on top of the one you want as the base to the layer cake. Layer the cakes and cover the whole thing with the icing. I added some extra caramel and sugar on top for decoration.