I made these cupcakes for a Ridvan celebration in SF. They are basic chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, but I added a good amount of rose water to the batter and the frosting. It's definitely an acquired taste and may be unique to some, but if you are used to Persian desserts and up for trying something a little different these can be fun.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1 1/4 cup flour (I actually used cake flour and I think they came out lighter than usual)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- A few tablespoons of rose water (I guess it depends how "rosie" you want them!)
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter for about 2 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add rose water and eggs, one at a time, to the above mixture and keep mixing.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk, and mix well.
- Pour the batter into lined cupcake tins and bake 15-18 minutes.
Hope you like!