When you are ready to bake them you will need to preheat the oven to 350. But keep in mind the dough will need to be refrigerated overnight.
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups and 2 tbs white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tbs corn syrup
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 tbs water
- Combine dry ingredients (except sugar) in a large bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter on medium speed until it is creamy. Slowly add the sugar and keep mixing until smooth.
- Add the egg to the butter mixture, followed by the molasses and corn syrup.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until well-mixed.
- Flatten the dough to about an inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready cut them out into gingerbread man shapes (I had some gingerbread women shapes too) and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-15 minutes, but this also depends on the size of the cookie.
- Let them cool and brush the glaze over them. More on the glaze can be found below.
All you do is mix the ingredients until there are no clumps and it looks like a glaze fit for a cookie :)
And I leave you with a scene Becky and I created. She interpreted it as a nice gingerbread couple sharing a strawberry. I thought one might be mugging the other for its strawberry. She blames my urban upbringing, ha!